It’s a well-known fact: if you’re pregnant, you don’t have to give up sex! The unborn baby is well protected in the amniotic sac, and sexual penetration cannot jeopardize its health. But what about using sex toys? Is there anything important to consider? We find out.
In pregnancy you will have many questions. Your gynecologist will be able to answer most of them, but what about the questions you don’t dare to ask? For example: is it okay to use sex toys during pregnancy? After all, many pregnant women report an increased sense of pleasure and stronger orgasms. It would be a shame, then, if sex toys were taboo. In addition, a satisfying sex life and a healthy body image require a generous dose of masturbation. What’s more, self-love begins with masturbation. And it is precisely this increased self-love in relation to a changing body during pregnancy that many women need.
Sex toys during pregnancy? Feel free!
We’ve got some good news: masturbation using sex toys during pregnancy is completely harmless. It doesn’t matter whether a penis or a supple sex toy is being introduced into the vagina – the baby is safe inside the amniotic sac and perfectly secure from the mother’s sexual activity. Neither a penis nor a vibrator can touch or harm the unborn baby. It is important however to use conventional sex toys and avoid those that can stimulate erotic pain.
Happy mama, healthy baby
Not even any physical shaking during an orgasm can harm the baby. On the contrary, hormones released during sexual stimulation and orgasm can reduce stress and in turn can have a positive effect on the health of the unborn baby. Children of stressed mothers are more prone to problems such as ADHD later on in life. Additionally, stress during pregnancy can severely affect the baby’s immune system. But if the expecting mother can relax with a pleasurable session – with or without her partner – using a sex toy or not – the baby’s health can benefit too.
Some other positive benefits of masturbation during pregnancy include:
- Rhythmic contraction at climax which stimulates and trains the pelvic floor. It’s an excellent preparation for birth.
- Stimulation can help prevent the incontinence which some women can experience toward the end of their pregnancy.
- Sex is made easier by masturbation. During the final phase of pregnancy, the abdominal volume increases to the extent that certain sexual positions are difficult to perform. At this point, oral sex, masturbation by hand or use of a sex toy can be great alternatives.
Another thing to consider during this time is that seminal fluid contains prostaglandins which promote circulation and contractile action. In this respect, masturbation may be a particularly sensible alternative to sex during the last stages of pregnancy.
When should I be careful with toys?
There are of course some specific situations when having sex, playing with toys or even just orgasming may be risky during pregnancy. Your doctor may recommend not having sex if:
- There is unusual bleeding: Spotting during pregnancy is quite common and normal, even after sex. However, consistent bleeding might be a cause for concern.
- Placenta previa: this describes a specific uterine medical issue. Sometimes the placenta attaches itself too low on the uterine wall, so it covers the cervix. Medical advice is necessary to know whether sex is safe or not.T
- Triplets or a high-risk pregnancy: Sometimes the uterus is stretched beyond its usual capacity, and having an orgasm might be fun but it can accidentally trigger pre-term labor.
Can pregnancy make sex better?
For a lot of women, an unexpected surprise is that orgasms are more intense during pregnancy. There have even been a few stories about women experiencing orgasms for the first time while pregnant. So how is sex better while pregnant?
- Increased blood flow to the genitals: Arousal is linked to an increase of blood flow in your groin and pelvic floor. Due to the change in hormones, pregnancy can also create this effect.
- Increased sensitivity: With stronger blood flow and hormones, this region is increasingly sensitive. Sexual arousal and orgasms can often be easier during pregnancy for this reason.
- Sensitive breasts: In preparation for breastfeeding, the breasts become increasingly full and even begin early stages of breast milk production. This means they will be more sensitive and can even leak during orgasm.